Monday, March 25, 2013

I Stand for saying it.

I wonder sometimes what it would be like to say: "Hi, my name is Erin and I am bipolar, I am anxious, have depression, am in recovery from an eating disorder, struggle with self harm, oh yeah and don't know who I am."

I wonder how people would respond if that is the first thing they ever heard me say.

I'm open - in a detached-you-don't-really-know-me- sort of way. But to lay it out there from day one would be terrifying and liberating all at the same time. Thinking about it though really makes me wonder -- who really knows me anyway?

Who really knows you?

What would be your opening line, if you could disclose anything in one sentence? This opener should be terrifying, yet liberate you from the so many chains that hold you down, back, and to the ground.

What don't you say? What do you leave out? How about gloss over?

Obviously we don't open relationships this way - obviously we pick and choose who we tell what to. But I Stand for saying "it" (whatever your it may be) because saying it sets you free. You've gotta know that life is ugly which makes it beautiful. We're all going to face crap, trial, fear, anger, sadness and then bear fruit. We will then become who we are suppose to be through that refinement of life.

Maybe it doesn't get easier. Maybe it's not supposed to. Maybe we're supposed to make it easier for others so that they can do so for even more people.

I Stand for saying it.

Set yourself free.

No comments:

Post a Comment